Pregnant. Started heavy bleeding with no cramps. Found elevated HCG level. What's going on?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: i am 8 weeks pregnant prior to my LMP. 4 days ago i have a heavy bleeding no cramps,no pains.we went to emergency,do hcg test and ultrasound. My hcg revealed 483 and my ultrasound impression is no itrauterine nor ectopic pregnancy.ER doctor adviced me to wait 3 weeks to re-do all the test,he said maybe its an early pregnancy. what does it means,im not pregnant? After 2 days i check the pregnancy home test,it shows im pregnant....any advice?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Since the HCG levels are elevated and the home pregnancy test is positive, a delayed conception is likely. At 4-5 weeks, sometimes a gestational sac is not detected on an ultrasound scan.
A repeat test after 3 weeks will help in confirmation. If the HCG levels keep on increasing then a pregnancy is likely.
The bleeding that you had could be an impalntation bleeding. Do take a bed rest and avoid any stressful activities till the bleeding subsides completely.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 hours later
I forgot to mention on my first query that when i have a heavy bleeding i passed out blood clots and tissue looks like a sac, when i open it thers's a crumple of blood clots inside. Do you think I miscarriages? if that so....how come the ER doctor didn't order D&C to me and advice to wait for 3 weeks to re-do all the test. I read the article about the vanishing twin,do you think it is possible happen to me since I am prone for that because of my age,and as I mention earlier,after 2 days that incidence happen I re-check my home pregnancy test and it come out I am still pregnant. Since this was happen and this set back of waiting 3 weeks, it bring discomfort and stress to me.... pleas help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If you have passed blood clots and a sac like thing then it is likely that you miscarried.

After a miscarriage, it takes about a week for the pregnancy test to become negative. If the abortion is complete, then usually the bleeding stops. Since no products were detected on ultrasound scan, D&C was not recommended.

You can test your urine for pregnancy after one week and if the test line is fainter then it is suggestive of an early abortion.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T