Pregnant. Started feeling tired and sleeplessness night. Is this common?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
My wife is 8 months pregnant now. Recently she is feeling tired throughout the day, added with sleeplessness in the nights. The general remedy of hot water treatment along the back is not working. Pranayama doesn't help too much again.
Is this a common symptom during this period?
If it is, what is the solution to mitigate this insomniac feeling?
She is taking fruits regularly and sometimes doesnot feel interested to take food and feels a full stomach. Kindly advise.
Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 31 hours later
These are late pregnancy related symptoms.Its occurring due to the increasing size of the fetus.In the lying down position,then fetus tends to push upwards below the diaphragm of the mother.This is why there is the insomnia feeling.In such cases,lying the side,in the left lateral position is very helpful to most mothers. Some fetuses are most active during night time,and hences doesnt allow the mother to get any rest.Im afraid nothing much will help,if that is the case.Mothers need to sleep when the baby is asleep. Soothing massages,warm baths,misic etc help some mothers to somnolence.
Not eating any food is not acceptable.But a moderately balanced diet is a must.
Due to gas formation,appetite decreases so medicines like liquid antacids help with that.Also a clear bowel is important.So make sure of that.In this last month of pregnancy,all the symptoms aggravate so one has to adapt.