Pregnant. Scan showed grade II placenta previa minor. What are the risk?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I'm 16 week pregnant. All scan report are normal till date but only one report i got yesterday where it's mentioned that -----

Placenta: is in the lower uterine segment along the anterior wall with lower edge of placenta seen approaching the XXXXXXX os but not covering it.

Grade II Placenta previa ( Minor)

Grade I maturity.

I dont know about this ..can you please inform me if there is any risk for this condition? or any specific restriction that i have to maintain. can it create any prob in future for this child birth?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later

Sometimes placenta can be seen low lying in early gestational weeks. And usually it will move upwards with progression of time, which is called migration of the placenta.
But as in your case the placenta is approaching the XXXXXXX os, complete migration from lower uterine segment may not be possible.
And placenta may remain low lying to some extent.
The risk during pregnancy and delivery depends on how near the placenta lies to the XXXXXXX os.
But compared with posterior placenta previa, anterior placenta previa is less XXXXXXX
The precautions to be taken are:
-Avoid strenuous activity, journeys as per as possible.
-Take sufficient rest.
-Be cautious about bleeding per vaginum, if that occurs consult your doctor immediately.
-Tell your condition to your family members.
-Better to avoid intercourse till the placenta moves away to the XXXXXXX os.

If you prevent blood loss due to placenta previa, then that may not affect the baby.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.