Pregnant. Noticed purple veins on the inside of lip. Should I be worried?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 19 weeks pregnant, and I have really noticable purple veins on the inside of my bottom lip. May I ask what that is & if I should be worried?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
The appearance of purple veins on the inside of the lip is a normal physiological variation. Such minor venous dilatation could be related to a minor venous congestion in the area due to some local causes like allergy.
Please do not worry and watch it for any pulsations or ulceration or pain in which case a direct examination is necessary for proper diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
I was kind of worried about that because I will be 20 weeks pregnant Thursday & my HCG in my blood & urine is still not showing up. But, was confirmed through ultrasound that I am indeed 20 weeks pregnant. What would cause this? Again, I am clueless & it seems that my doctor has no answers.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
HCG levels keep on increasing till 14 weeks of pregnancy after which they gradually start declining. If the ultrasound scan report is suggestive of a healthy 19 weeks pregnancy, then there is nothing to worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.