Pregnant. No heartbeat seen in scan. Am I miscarrying?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: i am 26 yr old and no health issue ,MC was regular .I had my last MC on 19-09-2012,then as per urine test,confirming i am pregnant and till now no bleeding .now i am 11 week pregnant but yesterday i took Vaginal scan ,Report is saying fetus is 9th week and no heart beat, Doc Suggesting for abortion.My question :If no heart beat for fetus means mis carriage ? and if i wait further will lead to any major health issue?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, it is a very sad news. You have to be strong to face it.

During pregnancy, fetal cardiac activity should be visible within 6 to 8 weeks of pregnancy. Your transvaginal ultrasound report shows absence of cardiac activity. That means the fetus is dead. It is a very hard truth. And look, ultrasound scan is the gold standard investigation regarding this.

For this, your doctor advised you for abortion. If you want to keep the baby for more days, it will lead to infection, disseminated intravascular coagulation, and many critical situation.

So, consult with your treating doctor for abortion. After that, you need a battery of investigation to find out any abnormality in you. Presence of antiphospholipid antibody, hypothyroidism, hormonal imbalance, genetic abnormality should be searched for.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 8 minutes later
now i am serving 9 Th week pregnancy ,so can i wait for at least 3 -4 days,then get abortion done
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, your last menstruation was on 19.09.2012 as you told previously.

According to this you are now on 11th week . In ultrasound, it was found to be of 9th week. Because in these conditions, growth has stopped already, for which it has shown lower gestational age.

If you want to keep the pregnancy for 3 to 4 days, then you can. But not more than that.

Regards.