Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. Low haemoglobin, high TSH. Will this affect the unborn baby?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Hello, My wife is pregnant and she is in the 8th week now. As suggested by doctor, we have done all the blood tests and scan. Everything is normal except for haemoglobin(count -10) and TSH (7.22). 6 months back her TSH was 5.2. Can you please advise us what to do? Does this thyroid level affect the baby/ mother?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 hours later
TSH at 7.2 is very high and definitely needs medication. High TSH levels indicate hypothyroidism and this does have a negative effect on the fetus. It may cause brain development problems hence the TSH levels need to be controlled. Apart from the folic acid, prednidoxin, start eltroxin 25 once daily on empty stomach. The dose can be titrated by your doctor accordingly. Also the hemoglobin needs to be between 11-14 so increase iron in your diet. Your iron supplement will start after 14 weeks. Till then a balanced and iron XXXXXXX diet is important.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pregnant. Low haemoglobin, high TSH. Will this affect the unborn baby? 45 hours later

Today we got the complete Thyroid checkup done.
Her levels are:
T3: 1.28
T4: 9.4
TSH: 6.77

Now can you suggest if we need some medicine. If Yes, please suggest the name and dosage.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 47 minutes later
The TSH value is higher than normal as i had mentioned. Start the supplement tablet Thyronorm or Eltroxin 25 mcg once a day on an empty stomach. Repeat the TSH level after2 months and contact your doctor if its still high so that the dose can be increased accordingly. If the levels are within normal range, dose can be adjusted accordinlgy also. Please do mention to her doctor that you have started the medication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor