Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. How to increase haemoglobin level?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5970 Questions
My Hemoglobin level is 7 and i am 8 months pregnant now... how to increase my hemoglobin ?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.
The commonest cause of anemia in pregnancy is iron deficiency anemia.
You are definitely suffering from it as the cut off level for defining anemia in pregnancy is a hemoglobin level less than 11.
You need to start taking iron supplements such as ferrous gluconate, ferrous ascorbate, ferrous fumarate twice a day.
Oral iron commonly causes gastritis, constipation, diarrhoea, so you can consult your Gynecologist to consider intravenous or intramuscular iron if that is the case.
Ferronine is an excellent oral brand of iron as far as tolerance is concerned.
Apart from that, increase your intake of iron XXXXXXX foods such as
Liver, beef, kidney, nuts, grains, lentils, green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, XXXXXXX beetroot, legumes, pulses.
Increase your protein intake in the form of egg, chicken, poultry, paneer etc.
Do not take calcium supplements or calcium XXXXXXX foods along with iron.
Take iron along with vitamin C tablets or nimbu pani, strawberries, amla, oranges etc as vitamin C enhances iron absorption.
Get a retest done after 4 weeks, and if your levels do not improve, or you are already past 34 weeks of pregnancy, consider that you might require a blood transfusion if symptoms worsen.
Make sure yours is not a rare blood group and ensure it's availability in case of an emergency,
Rule out Thalessemia and other causes of anemia by comprehensive testing as suggested by your Gynecologist.
Also take folic acid and vitamin B 12 supplements.
take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor