Pregnant. How to get relief from severe constipation problem?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Constipation
Question: I have a severe constipation problem from last 10 days (it starts from 2 months back) , please suggest what should i eat, kindly note i'm pregnant and my 4th month is going on.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
At 4 months,you have just started the 2nd trimester.You may develop lots of GI symptoms like acidity,constipation. Some of the symptoms will come from the many medicines like iron that you take during pregnancy.
So the first important thing is to maintain a bland diet,avoid oily spicy food.
You can include lots of XXXXXXX vegetables and plenty of water in your daily diet.Thats will help in clearing your bowels.
You can take isabgol with warm water daily at night.Its safe.
If you have digestion problems,stick to syrup gelusil before meals.
You might get some pain and stretching sensation in your abdomen,thats normal as the uterus is expanding.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your answer.

I have lower abdominal pain whole day, few days back my doctor suggested a syrup (forget the name), from yesterday i started that, today i'm feeling much better, but one thing i wanted to discuss with you is my stool color is very bad (dark green), which is the concern, anyways i'm taking that syurp for 2 or 3 days, let's see.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 49 minutes later
Stool colour can change according to diet and medicines.Iron can cause dark colour stools. Lie on your left side when your rest.It will reduce your stress. Continue the syrup your doctor advised. It could be cremaffin/duphalac.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 minutes later
Hi Doc,

Yes it's duphalac. Thanks for your time :-)

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
Happy to help.