Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. Heart rate of baby is normal. What could be done to change the baby's position?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
My wife is pregnant in the 5th month,
The baby heart rate and everything is normal but never wants to change his position, doctors never had the chance to know the gender.. What can she do so can the baby change his position
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baby Changes Its Position On Its Own Or By External Factors.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

First thing you should know that some women don't feel movement or change in position until the fifth month of pregnancy or thereafter (around 18-24 weeks). This is most commonly seen in the first pregnancy (primi gravida) or obese women. Less amount of amniotic fluid may impair movement of the baby.

Secondly, you do not need to worry about fetal well being as baby's heart rate and other parameters are normal. Baby changes position or moves on its own way. However, external stimulus or mother activity can alter baby's position. Knowing sex of the growing baby is an offense in some country. So, be careful about that.

Baby moves 10 times or more in less than 2 hrs and it varies according to day or evening time. It is called DFMC - Daily Fetal Movement Count in medical term. It is an indicator of healthy baby.

She can do the following things to change baby's position:

1) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet or supplements. Drink more fluid/ water (3 liter daily). It will help to increase amniotic fluid volume and overall fetal growth.

2) Take adequate bed rest in left lateral position. It is a comfortable position of mother and baby movement can be felt easily.

3) Listening music, household activity, walking, mother's eating, active sleeping etc are important stimulus for changing position of the baby.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Do periodic check up with ultrasound scan to your obstetrician. Don't be worried.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pregnant. Heart rate of baby is normal. What could be done to change the baby's position? 2 hours later
Is it true eating sugar XXXXXXX foods makes the baby move during the ultrasound? Will that help?

Also, my wife feels dizzy after standing for few minutes, is it normal?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mother's Eating May Effect Baby's Movement.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your queries. Followings are my comments:

1) Mother's eating acts as an external stimulus and baby responds with that. So, taking sugar XXXXXXX foods or any other stuffs may be helpful during ultrasound.

2) Mild dizziness is common in pregnancy. However, we need to rule out low blood sugar, low BP, anemia, disorder of inner ear, visual distortion etc to pinpoint the diagnosis. Kindly, consult with her obstetrician for complete evaluation with relevant investigations.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor