Pregnant. Headache, discomfort in legs and bleeding while urinating. What's wrong?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I am pregnant and have been bleeding when I use the bathroom, and some in my underwear. I have discomfort in my legs and sometimes my lower back.. Headache and today feel a little sick
Answered by Dr. S Patra 10 minutes later

I would be able to guide you better if you could please tell me
- Your gestational age or weeks of pregnancy (duration of pregnancy),
- Where are you bleeding from (with stools or pervaginally)
- History of previous abortion & childbirth
- Any history of abdominal pain and
- Since when have you been bleeding?

The above details will help me to give a detail guideline & treatment regarding your problem.

I am waiting for your reply...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 41 hours later
I am about 5 weeks, after implantation. Bleeding vaginally. No history of any problems. Second pregnancy. Bleeding for a week and a half.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Thanks for giving detailed history.

Per vaginal bleeding in early week of pregnancy (stated 5 weeks) is quite common phenomenon in most of pregnant women. Slight spotting or mild bleeding is normal and it does not cause harmful effect (like miscarriage/separation of implanted embryo) to growing fetus. But in your case, bleeding for prolonged period (one & half weeks) suggests early implantation or sign of miscarriage. It is better to do a Ultrasonography (USG) for lower abdomen or Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) to rule out the viability of the fetus and extent of miscarriage. TVS is superior in this case.

You may need Micronised Progesterone Tablet or Depot injection combined with Tranexamic acid to prevent miscarriage and support pregnancy. But these treatments are not always 100% effective.
Please consult with your gynecologist and take suggestive measures according to your test result.

Also do following things to prevent miscarriage:
1)Complete Bed Rest with foot end elevation by pillow preferably
2)Continue Folic acid supplements and Protein XXXXXXX diet.
3)Avoid long journey/heavy work/stepping uneven surface/high heel shoe.
4)Avoid stress/anxiety/emotional upset & maintain personal hygiene.
5)Drink more water and eat leafy vegetables/ fruits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 3 days later
I have had three sonograms, the first two showed I was measuring at 4 weeks, and 3-4 days later I was measuring at 6 weeks. I also heard a heartbeart. However, I am still bleeding. Its not gushing but it is more than spotting. My doctor has put me on restriction. But I still don't quite understand what is going on? I have had a lot of blood work done, and all came back negative for infection. My hormone level was at 3,000 three days ago. What is early implantation? What does that mean?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later

Implantation as you would know is the attachment of embryo to the lining of the womb. This usually occurs 7 to 9 days post ovulation. Occasionally when this occurs as early as 5 days it is referred to as early implantation.
Implantation bleeding normally occurs for a week or 10 days before missed due date of period. Considering you are already into the 5th week of pregnancy what you have is less likely to be related to implantation bleeding (I apologize for erring in my previous reply).

Though bleeding concerns all pregnant women, the fact that ultrasound scans revealed viable fetus with a heart beat and normal hCG levels 3 days ago does not indicate a miscarriage. Periodic check up with ultrasound scan is recommended to assess fetal growth & viability if there is sign of miscarriage or continuous bleeding/spotting in early week of pregnancy. Hearing fetal heart sound is a good sign of cardiac activity. However you are requested to monitor hCG levels more frequently.

In brief, I am pleased to know that your hormone are within normal limits and ultrasound scans revealed a cardiac activity. I also recommend restricted activity and resting. Further monitor your hCG levels for the next few days. I would like to see gradual increase in the levels.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need further clarifications.