Pregnant. Having stomachache and continuous vomiting. Tested positive for ketone bodies. Any suggestion?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: My Name is XXXXXXX and I have pregnancy of 2 Month but from last 8-10 days I am suffering from Continuous Vomiting, stomach pain. I am not able to eat anything if i Did suddenly I vomit out each and everything every day at least 6-7 time I am doing vomiting then My Test for Urine for ketone Bodies is Positive. I admitted in the Hospital and had some fluids like gulucose. But after that treatment still I am not able to digest anything even fresh juice also. Kindly suggest me what should I do? and I am worried about my baby. I have problem of thyroid also, but with the medicine now its normal. I am taking buschopan for stomach pain but its not so much effective.. So kindly tell me what should i do for Continuous vomiting and Digestion..
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX:
I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems with vomiting and digestion. This symptom as you probably know is fairly common in pregnant woman, however symptoms can be very disabling in some women, specially in the first trimester (this is due to big hormonal changes in your body).
The fact that you had to go to the hospital, and even had ketone bodies in the urine, means that you were fairly dry and probably dehydrated. Buschopan is ok for abdominal pain and spasms, but should not relieve the vomiting. In the United States we usually prescribe Zofran (ondasetron) for vomiting, however this is a very expensive medication, which is routinely used for cancer patients on chemotherapy, but is the safest one. Another medication that can be used is a antihistaminic, such as loratadine, however it is not as effective to treat vomiting and nausea. I would stay away of any medication for nausea and vomiting, since the rest can potentially harm the baby.
Keep yourself as much hydrated as you can, and drink small amount of fluids but frequently.
The stomach pain is likely secondary to repeated retching and desire to vomit, therefore controlling the vomiting should help the pain as well.
Hope that helps.