Pregnant. Having abdominal cramps and diarrhea with excessive gas. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I'm currently 7 weeks Pregnant and for about 2 to 3 weeks I have been experiencing excessive gas and a mixture of very soft stool and diarrhea. At first it was the regular color before changing to XXXXXXX for 2 days and for the last 3 days, a mustard color. I go an average of 6 times or more everyday regardless of what I eat or when. Shortly before having to go I get stomach cramps as well. It started out as just 3 times a day with soft stool that was a normal color. No fever. Morning sickness tho. For several weeks bad heartburn that suddenly stopped was a pre cursor to these symptoms. Before the last several weeks my bowel movements were normal. Please help
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
There are a number of things that can cause diarrhea during the first trimester of pregnancy, most of which are short lived and not a cause for concern. Diarrhea accompanied by fever and pain, or that has mucus or blood in it, can be a sign of something more serious that requires a doctor's attention.
There can be various causes for your problem like
Hormonal change... the body produces large volumes of pregnancy hormones that work to relax and slow down the gastrointestinal tract and result in heartburn,gas and loose stools
Diet changes like more fibre XXXXXXX foods like fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables can cause more gas

Lactose intolerance can cause the cramping and Diarrhea 
Prenatal vitamins contains iron and stool softeners can cause gas and Diarrhea 
Pregnancy makes you more susceptible for stomach infections

Since most of the medicines are avoided in first trimester ,you can do the following
Take plenty of oral liquids like sports drinks and avoiding fruit juices
Avoiding fruits and vegetables for couple of  weeks
Stop intake of milk for couple of weeks
Stop prenatal vitamins
May take antacid like TUMS for gas
Take more of banana and apples.

You should be all right soon.
If you don't get all right in next couple of weeks talk to your doctor for specific medications.
Best of luck
Thanks