Pregnant. Have type 2 diabetes with a kidney infection. Do I need insulin?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: Hi Im 32 weeks pregnant and have controlled type 2 diabetes with a kidney infection my blood sugar was 166 after dinner do i need insulin?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for the query.

Yes, you need insulin when your post meal sugar is going beyond 130 mg/dl. At 32 weeks you still have a long way to go for your baby's development in the womb. So please follow your healthcare professional's advice and start insulin right away.
You would be given insulin shots before each meal and if your fasting sugar reading is going beyond 105 mg/dl then one more evening shot of basal insulin will be given.
I hope your kidney infection has been taken care by now. Please monitor sugars frequently during this illness and in fact, till you deliver the baby.
Please get back for any related query. Take care and wish you all the best.