Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Pregnant. Have slightly elevated homocysteine levels. On medicine. Any complication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 5464 Questions
Dear doctor, iam in 13 th week of pregnancy and have experienced 2early miscarriages before 7th week. It was diagnosed that iam a patient of slightly elevated homocysteine levels and hence in this pregnancy iam taking aspirin50mg+glycomet 1000 mg sr as i have pcod+ enoxaparin injection40mg daily+becosule + folic acid+progestrone which has been recently stopped and i have recently started with fetum and shellcal Thankfully the baby was fine till
the 12th week scan with perfect double marker, torch and level 1 scan. Also, the baby was measuring 47.3 mm at 11week and 4 days with fetal heart rate of 159 bpm and iam feeling positive this time but because of my past history i feel more nagative than positive. Is this the right treatment for me and is there anything that i should be cautious about in this trimester.thanks, XXXXXXX
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since you have had two early miscarriages before 7th week, now your danger zone - the first trimester has completed successfully. The chances of having a healthy baby are much better now.
The treatment you are getting- aspirin + glycomet with Enoxaparin is given to cause mild thinning of blood so as to establish good placental circulation.
Folic acid and progesterone supplements are given only till 13 weeks after which the placental function takes over and calcium and iron supplementation is started.
You are getting the right treatment. Please do not worry.
The nutritional supplements that you need for healthy baby include-
1. A high protein diet- XXXXXXX in pulses, cereals, eggs, fish, etc.
2. A high calcium intake- like milk, milk products, eggs, bajra, ragi, etc.
3. Eat fiber XXXXXXX fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and avoid foods which are not easily digestible and fatty foods
4. Have six small meals instead of 3 large meals
5. Drink plenty of fluids
6. Go for regular Brisk walks for 30 to 40 minutes daily.
7. Take regular iron , calcium and DHA supplements as prescribed by your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pregnant. Have slightly elevated homocysteine levels. On medicine. Any complication? 9 minutes later
Dear doctor,

I have one more query, till my 12th week my us dating has always been one week behind my lmp dating which the radiologist and my doctor told me is very normal but sometimes the difference between two came down to 2days and sometimes it went back to one week(based on crl of fetus) but it never went beyond 1week difference but kept changing otherwise. Is it normal for fetus to grow at different rate at different times or is it something to worry. I have already given you the fetal heart rate and measurements as per 11w4d scan(when i was12w4d as per lmp). We saw the arms and legs of baby moving in this scan and the radiologist who is a specialist in this told me that baby and everything is perfect and all parts and everything should be there at this time is there. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The mild variation in the growth rate of the baby is an absolutely normal finding and should not make you worry.
As long as the baby is developing normally and the CRL is gradually increasing, there is nothing to worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN