Pregnant. Have migraine problem, low hemoglobin and high ESR level. Any harm on baby?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi, i m 4 months pregnant.my haemoglobin is low 108. and my esr is 55 mm/hr. i have a migraine problem.i m feeling daily headache.i just take one panadol for that. i want to know is the esr is a searious problem.is that effect baby.what i need to do. THANKS.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for sharing your concern here.

ESR is erythrocyte sedimentation rate and in females upper limit is 20mm at the end of the first hour.
In case of anemia ESR is high and needs to be corrected for PCV (packed cell Volume). It is useful for monitoring disease that means has prognostic value.

In your case it is high due to anemia and pregnancy. There is nothing to worry about the baby.

Please keep Panadol use to a minimum, partly your headache may be due to Anemia (10.1gm %) so kindly correct it by prescription of Iron and folic acid which your Gynecologist would give also take care of your diet to have XXXXXXX vegetables and fruits like XXXXXXX and pomegranate.

Hope this information helps and if you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.

With regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E