Pregnant. Have cough, fever and runny nose. What is causing this and cure?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 25 1/2 weeks pregnant. About 3 weeks ago I had a very strong cough runny nose and fever...about four days who I had a pain underneath my right breast gust felt like a ache in my chest.....now it hurts clear into my right shoulder blade. Even kinds around my side..I still have a slight cough and stuffy nose. I alsk feel that I have a thick phlem in my throat and have been coughing XXXXXXX mucus some.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
It seems that you are having an upper respiratory tract infection with an impacted mucus in your airways.
You need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.