Pregnant. Have blocked nose. Will it be safe to use otrivin nasal spray?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi dear doctor i am 8 weeks pregnant and i have trouble with my block nose.i used otrivine nasal spray i want to know is that safe if i use it just for 3 days?many thanks
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later

Otrivine nasal drops contains Xylometazoline hydrochloride as active ingredient.
The safety of this medicine is not well established in pregnancy till now.
It belongs to category C drug in pregnancy. Means animal studies showed some adverse effects but human studies are lacking.
Anyhow as you used only for 3 days there may not be any serious effects on the baby. Followup with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations are enough.
For more details regarding cold and cough in pregnancy:
http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/05/cough-in-pregnancy.html

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.