Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. Have been having brown discharge due to chronic hematoma. Underlying cause?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Im 35 and 7 weeks pregnant. Ive been having brown discharge due to a Sub chorionic hematoma that my OB told me about yesterday. I do have a heart beat also. Is the brown discharge a sign that the hematoma is old and dissolving?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Subchorionic Hematoma (SCH) is the most common type hematoma in early weeks of pregnancy and it is located in between chorion and endometrium. It is also a common cause of first trimester bleeding. Here, brown discharge may indicate a sign of old blood and regression of hematoma. However, you must repeat the ultrasound scan at 1-2 weeks interval to evaluate the prognosis and overall fetal well being.

Current statistics shows that chance of pregnancy loss or miscarriage is near about 1-3% with SCH and mostly associated with large hematoma. Most of them resolve within 20 weeks of gestational age without any further complication. But some percentage has greater risk of development of placental abruption in later months. In such case, urgent medical attention is required.

There is no useful treatment for SCH pregnancies. Wait and watch with serial ultrasound scan and avoiding strenuous activity are the key element in such case. Here, you would take folic acid & vitamin supplements, complete bed rest and maintain genital hygiene properly. Kindly, proceed follow-up visit to your OBGYN in periodic manner.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for your understanding. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful journey of pregnancy.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor