Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. Had miscarried due to blighted ovum. Can it happen again?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
Hi I am 43yrs and 7wks pregnant. Last pregnancy 6 moths ago I miscarried at 8wks- a blighted ovum. It took 3 weeks for me to miscarry naturally after that. What are the chance of the same thing happening again at my age?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
At your age, the chances of miscarriage are considerably higher as most of the early pregnancy losses are caused by chromosomal abnormalities. Since you had a blighted ovum 6 months back, the chances of repeat miscarriage in this pregnancy are upto 10%.
It is best to get your ultrasound scan done to detect a fetal cardiac activity and the development of yolk sac to confirm the viability of the fetus.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor