Pregnant. Had intercourse with two different people. How to find out paternity?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I went to see my obgyn, he did an ultrasound & I was calculated to be 6weeks 2 days at the time. & gave me the due date of August 31st. My LMP was either 17-18 of November. & my period ended on November 22nd. I had sex with a guy on December 2. & had sex with another guy multiple times on December 8th, 9th 10th 11th & 12th. When asking my doctor who he thought who the father was. He was dead set on father #2. Just reading some stuff online about date & what not just doesn't add up. Which makes me so confused. Can anyone give me a second opinion?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through your history in detail.

According to your Ultrasound report,Last Menstrual Period (LMP) date was 24th November as per calculation from expected date of delivery (31st August). Here I can comment that LMP measured by Ultrasound is one week advance than original LMP (17th-18th November) as you told above.

Actually pregnancy depends on timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. Ovulation occurs approximately 14 days before next due date of period in regular cycle.
After ovulation ovum can survive up to 24-36 hrs, and after ejaculation sperm can survive 3-5 days inside vagina or uterine cavity. So I clarify the situations according to two different LMP with regular cycle.

1) If LMP was 24th November,then possibility of next due date was around 22nd-24th December. In such case, ovulation occurred around 8th-10th November that is fertile period. As you were involved in unprotected sex at that time, then highest possibility of being father is 2nd guy.

2) In case of original LMP 17th-18th November, the next due date was around 16th-18th December. Herein,ovulation occurred around 2nd to 4th December. At that time,you were also involved in unprotected sex. So here chance of being father is the First guy.

It is best and widely advised to undergo DNA test for confirmation of Paternity and to clear doubt or dilemma from your mind. You have to be sure 100% by DNA test only and nothing is superior to that. Please consult with your doctor regarding this and take proper guideline.

In the mean time, do the following basic things:
-Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet & Periodic check up.
-Continue Folic acid & vitamin supplements
-Avoid stress/tension by regular XXXXXXX breathing
-Adequate rest with left lateral position 8-10 hrs daily.
-Maintain personal hygiene and take breast care.
-Enjoy your pregnancy ahead of anything.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health and successful motherhood.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
That's exactly what I kept getting, & figuring out on my own. My period is never on time though. & never 28 days. I'd say around 30-32 days. Does that make a difference at all in my case?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Thanks for follow up query.

If your periods come around 30-32 days,then following things can have happened.

1)In case of LMP on 24th November,ovulation occurred around 10th-12th December in next cycle as per calculation. Herein chance of being father is always 2nd Guy and does not alter as compared to previous state.

2)In case of original LMP as on 17th-18th November, ovulation occurred around 4th-6th December in next cycle. As sperm can survive up to 3-5 days after ejaculation within female genital tract. Then having sex on 2nd December, possibility of being father of the first guy also does not alter.

DNA test is superior to over all and surest test for paternity.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish your good health once again.

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 6 hours later
Thank you for your help. I'm just really confused why my doctor would give me this due date. After the ultrasound, he was sure when I conceived this baby. I know 100% when I got my period because I also know it ended on the 22nd which was also thanksgiving. But if ultrasounds are almost so accurate, and he told me how far I was...it's daddy #2 which is who I'm praying for. & with my period being weird every month, sometimes on the 15-16th then the 18-22nd so on and so forth some months. I just think it could possibly be daddy #2 as well. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
An ultrasound is not very reliable in this type of situation when you are involved in unprotected sexual intercourse with two different guys around ovulation time or fertile period. It gives gross & detailed view on the basis of fetal maturity at that time. Development of embryo or fetus may be small for date.

For example, you are calculating period of gestation from actual date of LMP and it is about 6 week plus but when you undergo ultrasound scan, you may get different result (5 or 6 weeks) according to fetal maturity which may not always correspond with actual gestational age. Here maturity of fetus is lagging behind the period of gestation.

Therefore you do simply a DNA test for 100% confirmation of Paternity and to clear all doubts.
I hope I have cleared your confusion. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli