Owl Image

Pregnant. Had food cooked with cologne. Side effects on fetus?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, I'm a 36 years old female and three weeks pregnant , I just ate a meal consists of meat and rice that I discovered it was cooked with cologne, Im really worried , what are the danger and what can I do to minimize the side effects, does it it affect the featus ? please I need an urgent reply, thank you
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Cologne contains ethanol and isopropanol.
They belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy according to FDA.
Means animal reproductive studies showed possibility of adverse effects on the fetus but human studies are lacking.
The quantity of the cologne may not be high in the food you consumed, so no need to worry.
If you get any abdominal discomfort, nausea etc, you can take symptomatic treatment.
Continue the pregnancy with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.