Pregnant. Got bitten by a dog. Red bruise appeared. Should I be worried?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi I am 35 weeks pregnant and today I was bitten by a smaller dog . I was wearing jeans and the bite did not tear the jeans . I immediately had a lumpy bruise that was red and purple .. I'm very frightened that this bite could somehow affect me and the baby . The owner assured me the dog has had all its vaccinations . Should I be worried or go to the emergency room?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
Since you were wearing a jeans and the jeans is not torn, the dog's saliva has not come in contact with your skin. Also, the dog is a pet one and is fully immunized.
There is absolutely nothing to be worried about. The bruise on the leg is due to a cold sponging in 2 weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.