Pregnant. Given WIDCEF and ORNI injection and tablets. Should I be concerned about baby's health?

Dr. Rajeev Chavda

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I am 36 weeks pregnant . The Fetal heart rate of my baby was 180 - 210. The doctor gave me WIDCEF injection and ORNI injection and tablets. I am little concerned about babys health , Is it ok?
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 2 hours later

I have read your query and I understand your concern. I shall try and provide you with useful information pertaining to your query.

1. Widcef (Cefuroxime) is a broad spectrum antibiotic indicated in the parenteral treatment of obstetric and gynaecological infections caused by sensitive pathogens.
Animal studies have revealed no evidence of harm to the fetus. Despite no adequate studies in pregnant women cefuroxime has failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus.

2. I assume Orni injection refers to Ornisteril which is a natural female hormone that helps to regulate menstrual periods. Ornisteril is used together with another female hormone called estrogen, as HRT). It helps to stabilise an unstable pregnancy and prepares the womb so that it can safely continue a pregnancy. Your clinician would have considered benefits over the risks before advising the said medications.

So do not worry. You can continue these as advised by your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any more information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad