Pregnant. Getting muscle, neck and shoulder spasm after progesterone shot. Side effect?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is getting progesterone shots and now pills. She also was asked to stay in bed to avoid miscarriage. What are the ptogesyerone side effects? I noticed that my wife is getting some minor neck, shoulder and face spasms.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly progesterone is a hormone that is essential in early stage of pregnancy. It enhances the anchoring mechanism of placenta.And thus prevents spontaneous miscarriage.

When there is any chance of miscarriage, this drug is prescribed and it is very efficient. It can be advised to the patient up to 20 th week of pregnancy.

Now, the side effects of progesterone analogues are Dizziness, nausea, headache, fatigue, emotional instability, irritability; abdominal pain and distention; musculoskeletal pain. But, the symptoms you described do not indicates side effect of progesterone.

It may be due to the continuous bed rest. You can consult with your treating doctor about it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.