Pregnant. Feeling pain in rib cage and lungs while breathing. How to get relief?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I woke up last night in the middle of the night with pain behind my right rib cage. I had a hard time falling back asleep. Every time I take a breath, it is sharp pain behind my righ rib cage and almost feels like my lung hurts. Tiny fast breaths don't hurt as much as a XXXXXXX breath. I have tried antiacid, tylenol, and heating pads and nothing makes it feel better. I am in tears now and when I lay on my back the pain is excruciating. I am also 12 weeks pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
The pain that is leading to almost catch in breath like situation can be a result of pneumonia/pleurisy or a referred pain from diaphragm if the gall bladder related pathology has returned.
You are pregnant so preferably you should avoid an Xray chest, although a shielded x XXXXXXX can be done if absolutely necessary.
I would advise you to get a physical examination and an Ultrasound of chest along with blood investigations CBC, ESR,CRP,LFT in consult with a physician of you locality.
You should be proactive, infections if become spread can be challenging to manage in pregnancy
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.