Pregnant. Experiencing nausea, loss of appetite, stomachache and vomiting tendency. Is this normal?

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: My partner is now pregnant for approximately 8 to 9 weeks now. She is experienceing the following symptoms:

1) nausea morning afternoon and evening
2) discomfort is continuous and sometimes more pronounced than the others
3) have tendency to vomit right after diner maybe that depends on the type of food (not sure)
4) lower stomac pain is constant (i.e. sometimes mild some times more pronounced)
5) no fever, no swelling, no blurry vision, no fainting feeling
6) loss of appetite also it is that obvious (skip meals but somehow catches-up snacks).
7) lately smaller portions are being served / accepted
8) lately averages 2 meals a day instead of three full meals with small snacks (i.e. fruits, cookies, bread or yogurt - small portions)
9) stomac seems to have gas which has a hard time to get out
10) burping effect

What is going on? Should we worry 1) about the mom and 2) the fetus/baby/pregnancy? What should we do to prevent any issues?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 days later

Please relax; what your partner is currently facing is what every woman undergoes when pregnant.

I have read your query with diligence.

All the symptoms that she is currently facing are due to Progesterone excess. Pregnancy is a state of excess Progesterone.

It seems like your partner is pregnant for the first time, isn't it? Let me know. Because Vomiting of Pregnancy or Hyperemesis Gravidarum is more common in the first pregnancy and decreases with subsequent pregnancies.

She just needs to take supportive measures for it. There may be some foods, the sight of which will make her nauseating. She should avoid. Throughout her pregnancy, she needs to consume plenty of fluids.

Your answers:

Hyperemesis Gravidarum or Vomiting of Pregnancy

There is nothing to worry.

It might affect the mother, if she becomes overtly dehydrated. In such a case, she may need IV fluids.

It does not affect the fetus/baby or the pregnancy.

Write back for further discussion.