Owl Image

Pregnant. Developed cold, cough and chest infection. How to cure these problems?

Question
hi....
I am 16 weeks pregnant....and i have developed severe cold and cough in the past 4-5 days....
the coughing has become worst...as it is continuous... .and i am getting chest pain now everytime i cough.......could this be a chest infection?
tried all remedies such as steaming drinking hot water with honey and lemon ....but not much relief....
getting very scared that it might hurt my baby......not able to sleep in the night becoz of the cough...sometimes feel difficult to breathe also......any suggestions to get rid of the cough
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you.

In pregnancy, lung disease can be harder to get rid of and can more easily develop into pneumonia.

You need to contact your doctor to be seen and likely started on antibiotics. If you are having any difficulty moving air, then an inhaler similar to those used with asthmatics might be indicated.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have more questions!