Owl Image

Pregnant. Blood test showed ALT 148 and AST 67. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
Question
I am 23 weeks pregnant. A routine blood test a week ago showed ALT 148 and AST 67 in my blood a little more than a week agao. A repeat test 3 days ago showed ALT 125 and AST 51. I have not touched a drink in 5 months and do not take any medication. I am 48 years old. I got prgenant through infertility treatment ( lupron;estrace and progesterone).Should I be concerned?
Forgot to say that I have no symptoms such as jaundice, abdominal pain, itching, swelling, fatigue or anything. I feel fine and the baby is fine and very well developed.
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your AST and ALT are only slightly elevated. It means that there was some minor liver cells destruction. Most probable reason are medicines you have been taking as liver is the main place where this medicines are metabolized. Moreover your liver tests are gradually dropping down so it seem you should not worry about it. Usually it takes from 3 weeks to couple of months for the liver cells to regenerate.
Just to make sure there is no other reason of such results you should have checked GGTP and AP, amylase and bilirubin. Abdominal ultrasound should be performed to see if bile ducts are not obstructed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.