Pregnant. Blood test showed 101. What are the risks?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: I just took my blood sugar using my mother in law's home meter about two hours after eating a meal (small sweet potato and 1/2 cup pinto beans) and the meter said 101. I am pregnant and am just curious if this is normal or OK. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, but I do have diabetes in my family, so I am very interested in making sure I am not at risk. Also, I am 6 weeks pregnant if that makes any difference.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 14 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Your 2 hour glucose value is perfectly normal. Anything less than 120 mg% 2 hrs after meals is normal during pregnancy. Those with a positive family history are at risk of developing gestational diabetes but this is not mandatory. Gestational diabetes results from a complex interplay between genetic and environmental risk factors and just positive family history is not sufficient to cause diabetes during pregnancy. Gestational diabetes(GDM) usually develops between 24 -32 weeks and those having risk factors for developing GDM will be screened around 24 weeks to detect any glucose intolerance/diabetes. So dont worry -you will be subjected to necessary tests at appropriate time if required by your doctor. It is diificult to predict whether you will develop GDM because you have positive family history and hence testing maybe required later on.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad