Pregnancy test showing weak positive and prescribed with norethisterone. What should I do to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi i had my pregnancy test
it showed weak positive
i went to doctor... she prescribed me norethisterone
i dont want to get pregnent
what should i be doing?
??
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) You have to repeat home pregnancy test or undergo one blood test for beta hCG to confirm pregnancy at the earliest.

2) On positive pregnancy test, you have to undergo one ultrasound scan (USG) to determine current gestational age and nature of pregnancy - tubal or uterine.

3) If pregnancy is detected and confirmed on repeated test, you must consult with healthcare provider or gynecologist for medical abortion.

You don't take any kind of abortion pill by own as the procedure is associated with several risks and complications like excessive vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain, vomiting, fainting, incomplete abortion, infection etc. Only your doctor will prescribe the medicine after clinical examination and it will be helpful for dosing, direction and in emergency purpose. Painkiller and other supportive medication are also needed. In such case, you must take a complete prescription from your doctor.

4) If you get negative result on repeated pregnancy test, then you can take NORETHISTERONE tab which is prescribed by your doctor. It helps to induce your period but not for medical abortion. You will get your period within 5 to 7 days of stopping the medicine.

Hope, I have guided you properly. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW