Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

170 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Pregnancy test showing weak positive and prescribed with norethisterone. What should I do to avoid pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4047 Questions

Posted on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi i had my pregnancy test
it showed weak positive
i went to doctor... she prescribed me norethisterone
i dont want to get pregnent
what should i be doing?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) You have to repeat home pregnancy test or undergo one blood test for beta hCG to confirm pregnancy at the earliest.

2) On positive pregnancy test, you have to undergo one ultrasound scan (USG) to determine current gestational age and nature of pregnancy - tubal or uterine.

3) If pregnancy is detected and confirmed on repeated test, you must consult with healthcare provider or gynecologist for medical abortion.

You don't take any kind of abortion pill by own as the procedure is associated with several risks and complications like excessive vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain, vomiting, fainting, incomplete abortion, infection etc. Only your doctor will prescribe the medicine after clinical examination and it will be helpful for dosing, direction and in emergency purpose. Painkiller and other supportive medication are also needed. In such case, you must take a complete prescription from your doctor.

4) If you get negative result on repeated pregnancy test, then you can take NORETHISTERONE tab which is prescribed by your doctor. It helps to induce your period but not for medical abortion. You will get your period within 5 to 7 days of stopping the medicine.

Hope, I have guided you properly. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Abortion

doctor1 MD

i had inevitable miscarriage on june 10, after 10 days, i had intercourse, i started spotting and my periods started were heavy. later on the 7th day of my period, i had intercourse, n again i started bleeding..i went to doctor. she gave me femilon..i am scared to use this drug..what should i do

doctor1 MD

Hi.. I am 24 yrs.. Female.. Married before 7 months. Yday i had severe head ache with slight fever and it was ok after a sleep. Today from morning i found the traces of blood in Urine and in eve i found with some clots. i feel very slight pain in my lower belly. Please note i had pills for aborting 3 weeks fetus consulting my Gynecologist.

doctor1 MD

ive had miscarriage with out knowing it. I stop menstruating for 3 months I thought its just because of stress and exercise, I usually jog and bike at morning. two months later I started having rashes in the shoulders, and breast. Is it because of missed miscarriage? Thus the dead fetus in my womb infect my immune system that started having rashes?

doctor1 MD

I had an abortion around the 18th of july,had unprotected sex with my husband about 3 weeks after that,but i immediately went and got plan b pills,Took a pregnancy test last week and it was positive,can it be a false positive due to abortion and plan b pill

doctor1 MD

I had my surgical abortion on may then i got 2 proper periods on time but the third period is 9 days late please help,i hv done the hcg test came negative , m finding a watery dicharge white plzz help

doctor1 MD

I am 45 days pregnant and i already have 1 child who is 2 years old. Myself amd my husband have not planned for the second child so we want to abort this pregnancy . We consulted a doctor and he has given 6 tablets for 10 days most of which is...

doctor1 MD

Best brand for copper t wen multiload goes for a failure ???