Pre-mature graying of hairs with hair loss. How to reduce this?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Hair Loss
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am getting pre-mature greying of hairs and it is increasing rapidly now. I shifted my place to Bangalore six months before and within this more than 100 of hairs got whitened. Also my hair density has reduced too. Hair loss is my secondary problem because it is only 10-15 hairs drop off when i take head bath.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM!
You have mentioned two concerns 1) premature graying of hair 2) hair fall
Premature graying of hair may occur due to nutritional deficiency, pernicious anaemia, thyroid disorder, stress, anxiety, smoking and it can be hereditary too. So to treat the same, firstly the underlying cause need to be ruled out. Also taking a dietary supplement XXXXXXX in hair friendly minerals and vitamins (copper, selenium, manganese, biotin, other vitamins esp Calcium Pantothenate and PABA) and being stress free would help in preventing further premature graying.
Hair fall too can be due to nutritional deficiency, chronic illness, stress or it could be male pattern baldness. Firstly to treat it appropriately the cause and pattern of hair loss need to be analysed. I would also like to stress that hair should be washed every alternate days if not daily. There is no problem in using hair oil however too much oiling and not washing the hair daily might aggravate your hair fall. I would also like to mention 10 to 15 hair strand fall is normal. However if you feel that the hair density has considerably reduced, you may continue using minoxidil 5 percent daily at least for 3 to 4 months to see desired response. Minoxidil would just help with hair fall, not having any response on graying of hair. Hope that answers your query. If you have any further query, I would be happy to answer it further. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Hi Dr. Kalpana,
Thanks for such an elaborated answer. I missed to mention you that I am a healthy individual, no smoking habits, 5 inch-7 ft, 72 kg, 23 yrs normal person with moderate stress of an adult at work. From your detail response on different sources for my issue, I guess it may be some mineral / vitamin deficiency.
Can you advise some medicine (may be a general tablet containing the vitamins to control premature graying) and some examples of hair friendly mineral diet.

I think i am missing some thing in my food habit since 6 months and this may be why it started graying. I want to treat it before it is too late. I rely more on doctors in Health Care Magic as i have heard many positive responses in my company about you people.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 52 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for the follow up.
In your case causes could be nutritional deficiency, thyroid disorder or hereditary inheritance. If it is hereditary, that is premature graying of hair was present in either of your parents then nothing much can be done. But if it is due to nutritional deficiency or thyroid disorder proper evaluation should be done prior to initiating the therapy. There are many multivitamin and multimineral supplements available in the market, however these being prescription drugs a consultation and prescription from dermatologist is mandatory to ascertain the dose and duration of treatment.
As far as improving your diet is concerned, take a nutritious protein XXXXXXX food and include wheat germ, liver,yogurt, yeast( XXXXXXX in calcium pantothenate and PABA) along with sea food,nuts, dates etc ( for copper, selenium) and Indian gooseberry in your diet.
Hope I have answered your query. Happy healing.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 8 hours later
Thank you so much for the detailed response doctor. I will consult some dermatologist near by for my full assessment before taking any medication.
Thanks once again for your valuable advice on diet.

I request you to close this discussion.
I have one more doubt doctor. I'm using Head & Shoulders Menthol shampoo right now. (Weekly once or twice till now). As per your advice I would like to wash my hair on alternate days. Can I continue the same? I feel it to be little stronger shampoo. Can you advice me some light shampoo?

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Shampoo should always be chosen according to hair type - that is whether it is dry, oily or normal. Loreal, Wella, dove, etc., are good brands to use.

You can continue using your shampoo if it doesn't dry your hair. To maintain healthy hair, regular wash and cleansing of hair is required.

Hope that answers your query.

Wish you a healthy recovery!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad