Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Poured undiluted savlon on penis and left for few hours. Started severe pain and burning. How can I get rid of it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Poured undiluted Savlon (similar to Dettol) on my penis & left it on for a few hours, now I have severe.pain and burning. How can I ease this?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in. I read your question with diligence and wish you luck for speedy recovery from this painful situation.
Savlon contains ten times more concentrate in undiluted solution. And you have suffered a chemical burn. The area will be red, sore and hot. I hope you have washed it plain water. It will go through the natural process of healing after a while like any part of skin will do it will give dry, cracked paving appearance. For pain you can take OTC Tylenol (500 mg Paracetamol..maximum dose in 24 hours 2000 mg). If there is no problem in urine passing (except for pain in moving the part), everything will be alright. You can apply OTC Calamine lotion (available OTC in South Africa) over the burn area, wet cold soft cloth will also give relief. Usually, it takes a couple of days to heal up. If there is no improvement in one day and you fear a scar is likely to develop or burn is XXXXXXX with chances of infection, I urge to consult a doctor who can examine the wound and suggest prescription medicine. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes, If there is any followup query I will be happy to answer that.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Poured undiluted savlon on penis and left for few hours. Started severe pain and burning. How can I get rid of it? 8 hours later
Hi Doc, thanks for the response.
The pain and burning sensation has eased a bit but now I've noticed that the foreskin is badly swollen. Is this serious and is there anything I can do for this?
The skin underneath the foreskin seems to be fine, ie no redness, cracking or flaking, only sensitive.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
I am happy that pain is less so is burning sensation. Swelling is the normal response. If you have no problem in pass urine in the manner you did before, you can afford to wait for it to subside. If there is even a slightest problem in passing urine, I am afraid you will have to see a doctor. We do not want any mid term or long term complications. May be today is Sunday, wait till evening or at the best till tomorrow AM, if you have any problem like swelling which is not coming down you see the doctor. Good Luck.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor