Postmenopausal, breast cancer

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 26 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Question: BIRADS 3 second time :

===========================
I am 50 and postmenopausal. I had a bizarre series of breast issues in 2011. In May, I developed Mondor disease in my right breast (frightening experience, because 4 drs. failed to diagnose it initially). Diagnostic mammograms, extra spot compressions and US for the Mondor's found two suspicious areas in addition to the Mondor's for which I was recalled in 6 months (findings below) The Mondor's has completely resolved, but I understand there is a 2 - 12% correlation with cancer.

From report: "The breast is fatty with fibroglandular densities predominantly in the upper outer quadrant. 1. Again, in the periareolar region of the 9 o'clock position, in the middle third of the breast, there is an oval and parallel to the skin hypoechoic mass. It presents mild posterior acoustic enhancement. It currently measures 9 x 3 x 9 mm. Although previously, it measured 8 x 4 x 7 mm, it is better circumscribed on today's scan.
This probable complicated cyst has slightly increased in size in the interval, although it is better circumscribed. Accordingly, another six-month follow-up right breast ultrasound is recommended.

2. The retroareolar asymmetry originally noted rnammographically has not changed significantly in the interval. The combination of this and the absence of suspicious sonographic findingss on the right breast ultrasound performed in XXXXXXX 2011 is very favorable. Accordingly, and in the absence of any clinical concern, I would recommend the patient to attend for bilateral diagnostic mammography in XXXXXXX 2012. Future recommendations will be given at that time. "

Should I wait 6 more months or get a second opinion right now? I am very anxious about this. I have no family history of breast cancer; no previous abnormal mammo's or recalls.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
I would like to reassure you that the findings at present are suggestive of a benign (non-cancerous) process

One of the lesions is probably a cyst, which has remained the same more or less over time, and has only become more well-defined over time, which is quite reassuring. The retroareolar thickening has also remained the same. The ultrasonography which was done earlier for this, also showed findings suggestive of a benign process.

As you have already had two mammograms over a period of six months and one ultrasonography to start with and both investigations showed features suggestive of benign findings, there is nothing that you need to be worried about at present. You don’t need a second opinion right now.

Considering the overall picture, I think you are doing absolutely fine. You just need to be on regular follow-up, with maybe a mammogram after six months and then yearly thereafter.

As far as Mondor’s disease is concerned, it is a rare condition of the breast and hence is often diagnosed with difficulty. It occurs due to thrombosis (clot) in the veins with surrounding inflammation. While the exact cause is unknown, however some cases have been associated with breast surgery and even breast cancer. It is not exactly clear how much risk it carries for subsequent breast cancer, as most of the patients who had breast cancer, were diagnosed with cancer either before or at the same time they were diagnosed with Mondor's disease.

I hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you the very best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli