Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Postmenopausal. Had a pregnancy approval by vascular test, echocardiogram stress test. Fertility report disapproved. IVF option?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 424 Questions
I'm 54, postmenopausal. I had a heart attack 4 years ago -- one stent. I found a fertility clinic in New York that didn't put my age against me for IVF donor egg treatment. I sent them my primary doctor's clearance for pregnancy, my gyn's clearance for pregnancy, my cardiologist's clearance for pregnancy (all ekg's through the years came back fine and my echocardiogram stress test came back fine, and vascular testing to make sure I didn't have clots in my legs came back fine). I saw the psychologist the clinic wanted me to see and she sent them a favorable report. They wanted me to see a preconception counselor. We went over the risks (she was not in favor of any one over 50 getting pregnant). She wanted me to have a second cardiologist opinion. The fertility center agreed. I saw another cardiologist for 10 minutes and did an ekg which came back fine. Her report to the fertility center was what made them turn me down. She said it was too risky. I begged them to contact my cardiologist (who was the one who attended me when I had the heart attack and has seen and tested me for 4 years). He cleared me for pregnancy -- he knew me and my situation better than this second cardiologist who only saw me for 10 minutes. I'm just devastated. Is there any IVF option out there for me? (Also, all of my blood tests came back fine and negative for stds).
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 8 hours later

Thanks for the query.

It would generally not be a cardiologist prerogative to decide whether you can have pregnancy or no. They would be able to tell you what kind of risks is involved and what the precaution to be taken is, and it will be only be the gynecologist who will decide on fertility modality. Yes, at your age and background illness and medicines it’s not going to be easy to get a simple solution.

You need modification of medications which your cardiologist shall be able to help. But still there are both to you and baby. Also it is mandatory that treating gynecologist or fertility expert should be ready to consider your treatment with reasonable confidence. At this stage I guess you need see one more fertility expert before anything else.

After that consultation if you have any cardiac questions you can get back to me.

Hope I was of help.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Postmenopausal. Had a pregnancy approval by vascular test, echocardiogram stress test. Fertility report disapproved. IVF option? 43 hours later
Thank you. I found another fertility center that said age didn't matter and I emailed them my situation. I'm waiting for a reply to see if they would consider me with my condition. I appreciate your information. It has been very helpful. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 9 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
We would be glad to help if you have any other issues.

Wishing you the very best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor