Post menopause. Noticed light brown urine. What is going on?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: I am past menopause. My urine.looks brown after awhile in my underwear. I wear pads. I am scared. When I wipe it is clear. It is a light brown when it happens.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
It may arise from the cervix/uterus or the urinary tract.
The next step would be to do an ultrasound scan of the abdomen and pelvis to look at the bladder and uterus/cervix.
Depending on the finding, next step/s can be planned.
Other tests that would be necessary are urine analysis and culture to start with.
In order of necessity, specialists who could provide help are gynecologist and urologist, if you have direct access to them.
Otherwise, pls. get evaluated by your general practitioner initially who will refer, whenever necessary.
Please take medical advice and get well soon.
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
I will do all those things. But I am scared it is cancer. Could it also be something minor?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Hi
Welcome back.
It could still be a minor illness like infection in the urinary tract or the genital tract.
Cancer is considered, as suspicion leads to early diagnosis and possible cure.
Kindly take medical help and get well soon,

DR GS