Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Poor academic performance, lack of interest in studies.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1851 Questions
My son aged 16 yrs, wieght 72 kg, 5.6" height & student of x std is not serious in studies despite home tutor provided. Its very cold January yet he fall asleep without Razai & without putting off the light as a matter of routine. he is dreaming to be an IAS of fighter pilot but secures very less marks & so far could not clear any of the 02 pre-Boards yet he is confident of passingt the Xth. He lost his mother when he was 05. Father remarried but the next mother is not so affectionate to the son due to his deterioratng performance in education. Both the parents are working & spare little time for children. he is slightly confused & never come out with clear cut expression. His concentration is also weak & despite his best efforts is not able to perform in studies. He is very aggressive yet appears to be scared before parents.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 16 years old boy
• Complaints of: Poor academic performance, lack of interest in studies

Common causes of poor academic performance are:
-Low Intelligence Quotient (IQ): IQ varies from 0 to 100. If child has less than 90 IQ, it falls in below normal intelligence. IQ cannot be raised for a person. Borderline IQ person usually have difficulty in studying after 9th class.
-Lack of interest in subject.
-Emotional issues: like this child who has had history of separation parents.
-Learning disability
-Anxiety, depression or presence of other psychological problems
-Vitamin deficiency leading to poor concentration

Children usually do not communicate their problem like adults.

Following measures can be tried to help this boy:
1. IQ and learning disability assessment which can be done by psychologist.
2. Assessment and in person counseling for emotional and psychological issues.
3. Giving him milk daily as it contains almost all vitamins.

I hope this information will be both informative and helpful for you. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries. Should you have any, I will be glad to help you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor