Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Pocket of loose skin inside left cheek. Starting to overlap lower back tooth and outside of jaw is swollen. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1011 Questions
Inside my lower left cheek I have a pocket of what seems to be loose skin?? It is starting to overlap my lower back tooth. The outside of the jaw also also swollen
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Deep scaling and curretage advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

After going through the history ,it appears you might have an infected pocket in your lower jaw,also called as periodontal pocket or simply gum pocket.

Pocket develops due to loss of attachment of gum tissue to the adjoining teeth.As you have mentioned there is swelling developed in the lower jaw,this confirms infection.

There is nothing to worry,it can be very well treated by deep scaling(cleaning) and curettage(removing the infected tissues and allow new gum tissue to develop) of the pockets in the lower jaw.

Simultaneously antibiotic and analgesics course should be started.

Therefore please see your dentist soon, as it can spread and involve the adjacent teeth too.

There is an important message which i usually convey to my patients with gum diseases is that,please get the treatment done but never forget maintenance.

Gum problems are recurrent in nature due to food lodgement in pockets.Therefore please follow hygiene maintenance religiously without ignorance, for healthy gum.

Please let me know for further query.

Hope i have answered your query in detail.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pocket of loose skin inside left cheek. Starting to overlap lower back tooth and outside of jaw is swollen. Treatment? 1 hour later
Maybe I did not explain carefully, this is not in my gum area, it is in the inside of my lower left cheek area(inside left cheek) it just is loose skin almost extra skin that is inside...again, not in my gum or on my gum...left cheek and if I look inside at that area I would describe it as my inner lower cheek needs a lift... Again, just loose skin on the inside of left chhek, my right cheek also has it but left has much more...I would describe it as extra fatty skin...or skin that has lost its muscle tone...can that happen...
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Augumentation surgery advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for reply.

yes, after reading your complete history i have very well understood the present condition.

This (loose and flabby skin in cheek area)is seen among many patients in your age group.It can be very well lifted by augmentation surgery.

For this you will have to see your oral and maxillofacial surgeon,who are expert in dealing such cases.

sometimes, if it is due to absence of teeth in that area it can be easily restored by giving simple dentures to patients.

This procedure requires a visit to your surgeon and clinical examination both intra orally as well as extraorally for treatment planning.

Hope i have given you an idea about its treatment and concerned doctors.

For further doubts please let me know.


Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor