Plugged ears, affecting hearing. Had sinus infection while pregnant. New treatments?

Dr. Mihail Iepure

Posted on Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my ears have been plugged for about 2-3 yrs following a 6 weeks sinus infection while I was pregnant. I have been to an ent and they say there is nothing they can do. It is affecting my hearing and down righ annoying to have your ears NEVER unplugg. Are there any new treatments that could help?
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query.

When you feel obstruction of your auditory canals, there can be possible obstruction by cerumen (wax deposits). In such case are indicated special solvents following by irrigation or aspiration with direct manual removal. This procedure can be done in any medical facility.

Sometime you feel obstruction of your ear canals but they can be empty, clear, in such cases you have just “sensation of obstruction “ that frequently appear in chronicle or acute otitis, sinusitis due to congestion, infection. In such condition your Physician may prescribe correctly medication, like antibiotics, anti- decongestants, etc.

Hope this helps, if you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mihail Iepure 6 hours later
There is no obstruction and i had chronic sinus infections which were cleared up with medication the problem is the plugged ear feeling has never gone away and its been 3+ yrs ive been to an ent and they told me there is nothing they can do right now. Wondering if anything new is out there for a differnt ent to try it is affecting my hearing and just plain annoying!!!!
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back,

If your external auditory canal is clear, then possible Eustache’s tube (that connects to rhinopharynx) are congested and there some sequels in middle ear due to chronicle sinusitis and as a result affected your hearing and you feel this obstruction sensation.

Make sure you nasal cavity are clear, not congested if so use decongestant drops.

Surgical remedies are planned in certain cases after a thorough clinical evaluation. You can make one more effort to consult a second ENT Surgeon in Specialized clinic for ENT conditions. Whether or not the surgery can help can be discussed after a detailed ear evaluation.

Hope this helps. If you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask,
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion

Best Regards,      

Dr.Mihail

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad