Planning for tubal reversal surgery. What is the success rate?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have had a tubal ligation done and I have had a leep and cone and cervical dyspepsia. My now husband don't have kids and wants his own I want more also and was wanting to know is it possible that a tubal reversal will work for me? I am 37 now so I know time is running out and it is very painful to think I can never have another baby let a lone the man that has loved me and stuck in there with me threw all of this.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello
Thank you for trusting us with your health query.

The success of tubal reversal surgery depends on various factors such as

Age
The manner of previous surgery, ie, method of tubal libation
Previous fertility
Any coexistent diseases in your uterus or ovaries or general medical diseases.
Length of tubes preserved

Based on these, your Gynecologist would be able to have a fair idea of how successful reversal surgery would be.
You would have complete blood work up, an X XXXXXXX , called HSG ( hysterosalpingogram ) to assess the current status of your tubes, semen testing of your partner, your current ovarian reserve ( ability of your ovaries to produce eggs )
, and then you would be counselled for surgery.

Success rates range anywhere from 30 % to 80 %, and as I mentioned, depend on various above mentioned factors.

If the rest of your infertility work up is normal, you CAN take a chance and proceed ahead, though 38 is an advanced age, and you might need help of assisted reproductive technologies to help you conceive.

Another option is to straightaway go for IVF ( in vitro fertilisation ) if your fertility tests indicate a poor result in any of the parameters.

Please consult your Gynecologist for a complete evaluation and treatment accordingly.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
okay so basically having these other issues shouldn't be a problem? or effect the goal we are trying to reach.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 57 minutes later
Hi again
History of cervical dysplasia should not be a problem if you are on regular follow up, and your Pap smears are normal after the LEEP and cone procedure.
Again, if your fertility work up panel shows no abnormality, you can strongly consider going ahead with the surgery.