Planning for baby. Prescribed folgard and baby aspirin. Will it be safe to take only folgard?

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Lupus
Question: Hello Dr Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for your quick response, that makes my heart feel comfortable.

I see in many forums, they are both on Baby Aspirin & Folgard
My OBGYN suggested only Folgard is good enough, Do you advise on folgard & baby aspirin or just folgard is good enough?

Interms of planning for a baby we generally perform intercourse in between 10th to 14 days but we stop 5 days earlier to 10 so the sperm released will be in high quantiry is that fine or since its more than 5 days we stopped before 10th day old sperm comes & might not be good for pregnancy?

Please let me know

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 11 hours later

I agree with your obstetrician that aspirin is not required.

Folic acid is good enough to deal with the mutation.
Another thing is in which month or week of pregnancy did you have the miscarriages?
And was anti ro and la antibodies also done(SSA and SSB)?

I don't think it is a problem stopping 5 days before 10. The other thing is why don't you use the ovulation kits available so that you can be sure and plan intercourse accordingly.

Rest, exercise regularly, have a healthy diet and above all reduce the stress regarding the desire to conceive because that reduces chances of conception.

I know this is difficult but it is important.

Do get back to me regarding this.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 12 hours later
Thanks for your quick response, For the past two pregnancies miscarriage happened in 5th & 6th weeks.... both the times hcg level didn't raise as expected

I think these tests anti ro and la antibodies also done(SSA and SSB)? & all looks good.
Both the times in the past conceiving happened in the first month itself

We are planning next month again, so hopefully every thing should go well.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 10 hours later
It seems like a coincidence that the miscarriages happened.

But all your tests look good, so I think you continue with folic acid and hope for the best.

I will be available to help you if you need further assistance.

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad