Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Planning for a baby. What precautions to follow before planning?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5970 Questions
I am 28 years old and married.I am planning for a baby.I neither smoke nor drink alcohol and do not have any serious health problems.I have following queries: 1.I want to know are there any precautions men should take before planning for baby. 2.How to ensure healthy status of sperms? 3.If a guy has any serious health problems will it have impact on health of sperms? 4.How to increase sperm count and quality with the help of natural foods and exercise routines if any. 5.What precautions my wife should take before planning for baby.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Let me answer your questions in the order in which you have posed them 1. Before planning a baby, smoking / drinking / tobacco are ruled out, so that is good for you . Also, you should cut down on excessive caffeine consumption ( coffee, aerated drinks , cola ). Avoid late nights, and excessive stress at work. Eat and sleep on time, and keep your weight ideal ( BMI less than 25 ). If you have no medical issues, there is no need for any supplements. Do not take any medication without consulting your doctor as it might affect the sperms. Heat from hot tubs, saunas, hot long showers ( more than 30 minutes), heating pads, electric blankets, and tight clothing like briefs and spandex could cause your testicles to become too hot which decreases sperm quantity. Avoid excessive cycling too. 2. A healthy individual will have healthy sperms - it is that simple. If there is no risk factors - history of mumps in childhood, exposure to radiation, drugs, toxins, hot tubs or saunas , - then you should not worry. If you try to conceive for one year ( try having unprotected intercourse from day 10 to day 20 of your wife's menstrual cycle ) - then you should go for investigations such as semen analysis. 3. Yes, if a male has serious health issues, it will definitely affect the semen count and quality of sperms. 4. If you are having an abnormal sperm count, please upload the report. THen the cause needs to be confirmed by consultation with an XXXXXXX / urologist . Medications depend on the cause. As such, eating healthy ( oats, fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, flax seeds ) will help - no extraneous supplements are needed. 5. For your wife, the same precautions apply - avoid smoking/ alcohol / tobacco / caffeine / late nights / stress. Take regular folic acid supplements daily. Maintain an ideal weight. Keep track of your menstrual cycle. If cycles are regular, ovulation would occur on day 14, so try and have sex from day 10 to day 20. Have screening for Rubella , pelvic infections , HIV, hepatitis etc. Have a pap smear done. If again there is no conception for a year after trying, further investigations are warranted. Avoid stress, and am sure a healthy couple will achieve pregnancy in a matter of a few months. Please feel free to discuss further. All the best with your efforts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor