Planning for a baby. Semen test done. Can I impregnate my wife?

Dr. Dattaprasad

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Semen report looks bad(attached ) . Need to know what to do further to get baby .

Married : 2011 , trying to conceive more than year .
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 42 minutes later

Your semen reports shows absence of sperms. If this is first time you have done this test, you can just repeat it once more with 3-4 days sexual abstinence. Also you can specifically ask the laboratory to centrifuge the sample for sperm, because if count is very low, sperm might not be seen in whole sample though it can be seen in centrifuged part.

If you had already done semen analysis for more than one times from reliable laboratory, its time to investigate for the cause & start treatment.

You can do few basic tests like hormonal evaluation (FSH, Testosterone, prolactin & TSH), clinical examination by urologist OR trans rectal ultrasound to know presence & pathology of seminal vesicles (these are glands present in the outflow tract of semen). If specific cause is found, you can get treated for it, if not, I will guide further.

Just let me know the situation so that I can guide you further.

Awaiting your response.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan