question-icon

Placed clothespin on penis head. Noticed swelling with pain. Any medication or home remedy?

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013
Question: I recently experimented with placing clothespins (about 3) just under the head of my penis, on the frenum / inner foreskin. After a minute or so, they came off and later I noticed some slight swelling on the left side. A week later and there's very slight swelling and underneath feels like a blood vessel that is a bit firm and slightly tender. I've been masturbating daily (without clothespins!) and it hasn't gone back to normal -- should I simply leave it alone for a few days, or do I need to see a doctor? Is there any home care I should be doing such as ice and/or anti-inflammatory drugs?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan (34 minutes later)
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I understand the swelling is due to edema/fluid collection due to the clothespin.
The following things may help.
1. Refrain from masturbation for a few days till the swelling reduces completely.
2. Anti- inflammatory agents, of course.
3. Ice can be tried - 10 minute sessions thrice daily for 3 to 5 days.

You need to see a doc when
1. The swelling increases and covers the whole head/unable to retract.
2. There is pain or unable to urinate well.
Otherwise there is nothing to worry.
Best regards
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan (43 hours later)
Dr. Srinivasan-

Thank you for your time and advice -- much appreciated!

I have taken your advice and am refraining from masturbating until the swelling reduces completely. So far, it seems to have reduced only about 20% despite icing and Ibuprofen -- granted it has only been 2 days.

How long do blood vessels take to heal? What should my expectations be for healing time? There is slight swelling and no pain or obstruction to urinating, however if I touch the foreskin area on top of the penis, the blood vessels are soft, whereas the area where the clothespin was is still a bit firm and just slightly tender.

I suppose I should just keep resting and icing...I'm just wondering what the range of time is for healing.

Thanks again!

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan (5 hours later)
Hi
Welcome back.
I expect healing by 7 to 10 days.
Please take anti-inflammatory agents and ice application till that time.
Best regards
DR GS
Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist