Pins and needles sensations in hand. Suffering from re-occurring chest pain and hip pain. Suggest the treatment?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Main concern and query: I have had pins in needles in my right hand for 2 months now. I have had a MRI on my brainm neck and lower back which all came back normal and EMG tests which also came back normal. There is no numbness, just pins and needles sensations in my hand, across the whole hand and fingers (though less and hardly noticeable in my thumb).

I am a 32 year old male.
5'9" - 80kg, but athletic build.
I exercise most days (cycle to work), play soccer and take part in marathons, triathlons etc.
Until November last year, I was always fit and healthy.

Other info 1: I have a reoccuring chest infection that started in November last year, which keep flaring up and there is a pain when I inhale in the left hand side of my upper chest. This is accompanied with a chronic cough which is worse when after I eat. I also have a constant wheezing. I have had 4 courses of anti-biotics and 3 courses of steroids since November 2012. In January I had a chest x-ray which came back normal.
I do notice that along with the pain in my chest when I inhale past a certain point, I also get a pain under my left shoulder blade.

Other info 2: I have also (for the first time in my life) been suffering from back back/sciatica and hip pain (mainly left side) which I am seeing a physio for and this seems to be improving in the last few weeks.

Other info 3: Following a night on alcohol, the tingling in my right hand is much worse and I could also feel it in my left hand and soemtimes feet. Recently, after a wedding I experienced tingling again but also had 'stitch' like feeling in my shoulder accompanied with a dull (painful) ache in my left upper arm and actual numbess in my left thumb and index finger.

I am due to see my chest specialist on Tuesday next week, and part of the reason I am emailing you here is to make sure that I make best use of my time with the consultant. I need to be able to articulate my symptoms so that he has the best chance of providing me with the right treatment.

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your Symptoms suggest a Neurological disturbance

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Pins & needles sensations are termed as Paresthesias.

These paresthesias are often temporary but they can be sometimes long lasting. Generally these paresthesia happen when pressure is applied to a part of the body which cuts off the blood supply to the nerves in that area resulting in pins & needles.

As your MRI scans of cervical spine & EMG have turned out to be normal, there could be no serious underlying cause for your paresthesias.

I suspect the possibility of median nerve compression at the level of wrist which might be causing your symptoms. This is termed as Carpal tunnel syndrome. Typically in this condition, the little finger is not affected by paresthesias which differentiates this condition from others. A detailed clinical examination, EMG, Vitamin B12 deficiency

So, a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations are needed to pin point the cause for your pins & needles.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications.