Pin worms coming out from nose. Have severe headaches, digestive problems, weak immune system. Treatment?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I believe I have pinworms and have them coming out of my nose. They look just like the pictures and have had severe headaches, digestive problems, weak immune system (sick all the time). My grandson has them coming out his nose and now my boyfriend does also. I have gone to the doctor and asked to be tested but I was told I was imagining things and it was just allergies. No test were done for parasites and I was embarassed I had gone. Do pinworms cause nasal sinus and ear problems, and it looks like dead ones come out of the nose? I also had them in my stools but have been taking herbs to relieve the pain in the head, nose and ea
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a nasal smear or get the worms examined microscopically to confirm the exact species you are dealing with. You could be dealing with Enterobiasis, Strongyloides or some other threadworm or parasite.

2. Since you have severe headaches, digestive problems and a weak immune system, it is possible that the pinworms are causing an opportunistic infection that is spilling out of their natural habitat (the gut). Get a stool examination done. Get a CT PNS (Para Nasal SInuses) and an MI Brain done to confirm the possibility

3. Specific treatment includes albendazole, mebendazole, pyrantel palmoate, ivermectin and may be safely and effectively given to all the affected members and friends.

4. Even if all examinations are normal, you may take a trial of an anti-helminthic. Pinworms are extremely common and have been around for thousands of years.

5. By your doctor's logic, if this sensation is only allergy, it should subside with anti-allergic medication. If it does not, he/she should at least get nasal smears and examination done. This is rare but not possible with inhaled or contaminated nose and sinuses.

6. If all nasal smears fail to detect any parasite, get a neurologist's opinion. In common neuro-degenerative disorders such as Parkinson's, such hallucinations are frequent. Treatment of these underlying problems can then ease the symptoms.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad