Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Pimple like sore on penis and STD test was negative. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I have a small single pimple like sore at the base of my penis shaft. It has been around for 2 weeks. I had a 7 panel std test including HSV 1 and 2 both were negative. What could it be.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Mostly not an STD, hair follicle affected Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing in. If you have undergone the 7 panel STD test and the HSV 1 and 2, and tested negative for all, then this could most probably be inflammation or infection of a hair follicle, based on the provided location of the pimple-like bump. You also have an option to upload an image of the affected region to our discussion, if you wish to do so sir. This can happen due to friction from clothes, sexual intercourse or even activities like shaving in the region, etc. But, I would also like to add that, many of the infections on the 7 STD panel have an incubation period. An incubation period, is the time taken from exposure to the infection (or an infected person), till the appearance of the first symptom (which is also the time when the currently infected person will test positive for the infection). I hope this is clear. So we have two possibilities here: 1. You are free from all infections, and this is just a simple complication of the hair follicle, which in most cases should subside on its own 2. Or you could have an infection, but have not yet reached the time when you will test positive for it In my opinion, the first option is more likely. So, please wait and watch. If the pimple-like bump disappears, and you do not experience any other symptoms, then the first option is the diagnosis. But if you experience more of these bumps or experience any other symptoms that are not normally seen in you, then report to a doctor and request for a physical examination and a repeat STD panel test. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor