Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Piece of wood felt on top of toe. It turned purple and swollen. Can it be blood clot, how to ease the pain?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Hello Dr,
A peas of wood felt on top of my middle toe, was so pain full that I closed my eyes so tided that I almost cried, a few hours later the middle toe turned purple, blueish color and very swollen, My question is can I get blood clots,and what can take to ease the pain and the swollen middle toe. Thank you
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 28 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

By the description, you could have sustained either a PHALANGEAL (toe bone) fracture or a HEMATOMA.

The initial management comprises of

* Rest to the local part (avoid any movements)
* Ice packing to reduce pain & swelling
* Keep Foot end in elevation most of the times
* Judicious use of analgesics & antiinflammatory medicines

An xray is mandatory to rule out any fracture.

Hope I have answered the query. Happy to help for any further clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Piece of wood felt on top of toe. It turned purple and swollen. Can it be blood clot, how to ease the pain? 10 minutes later
Dr Naga,

Should I worry about blood clot?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later
Hi, The hematoma (blood clot) usually gets absorbed within 3 weeks (maximum time). If you are a Diabetic person, then there is a chance of hematoma getting infected. Otherwise it should not bother you.

Once the acute pain subsides, then keep regular moist heat fomentation over the swollen area to hasten the healing process.

Good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor