Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Pharyngeal contancous fistula on neck, CT scan shows destroyed hyoid bone. Surgery to repair it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions
My husband has a pharengeal contancous fitisula on the left side of his neck right under his jaw. A CT scan results states that the Hyoid bone has been partially destroyed. I could see it in the hole, now that bone has broken into. Is there a surgery that could repair that and close the hole up on the side of his neck leaving the fitisula open on the inside? They say that this developed from poor nutrition while undergoing chemo for coloretal cancer. He previously has squeamoucell carsonoma of the base of the tounge (16 years ago) and this area was treated with a neck recection and radiation.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The hyoid bone does not require any repair.

2. Since the hyoid bone appears partially destroyed, a biopsy may be necessary before attempting a repair.

3. The prior surgery must have included a neck dissection which thins out the neck wall, with extensive fibrosis and damage to the blood supply. The prior radiation therapy, chemotherapy, compromised nutrition or a recurrence may have a role in its formation.

4. The most common reason of a pharyngocutaneous fistula is a total laryngectomy and rarely neglected foreign bodies. Such delayed fistulas are rare.

5. The main treatment is to reduce or drain the pharyngeal secretions and operate the fistula after it is reasonably dry. A flap may be necessary to aid closure. Intrasite gel is a good wound dressing

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor