Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Person suffering from esophageal varices & liver cirrhosis. Life expectancy if untreated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
how long can a person live with esophagul varices and cirrohsis if left untreated
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

First of all I would like to comment that the question seems to be pessimistic as treatment should never be stopped & vomiting large amounts of blood with esophageal varices & liver cirrhosis, is an emergency and may need surgical intervention if not controlled conservatively on medications.

Secondly coming to your question of survival rates in such a patient, I would like to comment the following:
1. Vomiting large amounts of blood with esophageal varices with stomach swelling (probably ascitis) with cirrhosis is a medical emergency and needs to be treated urgently. If left untreated the patient may immediately land in hypotensive shock and which is life threatening

2. If such a patient is rescued and his vomiting of blood is controlled then the progress of the patient depends on these factors: albumin, ascites, total bilirubin, prothrombin time, and encephalopathy. It also depends on how much liver has developed cirrhosis.

3. In the most severe cases 1-year survival is about 50%.

4. If treated and managed properly then mild to moderate cases have a better prognosis of 5-years, with a survival rate of 70%- 80%.

5. My sincere advice at this stage would be initiate immediate treatment by visiting the concerned physician.

I hope , I have answered your question. I would be glad to answer any follow up query.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish a speedy recovery to good health.
Take care
Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor