Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Person having obsessive behaviour, smoking marijuana and getting selfish. Is there any treatment for this condition?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
I think my son may have undiagnosed ADHD. He is now 24 and altho successful at school until 17 he has dropped out and failed courses over the last 5 years and not held down a job. He displays obsessive behaviour- spending all his XXXXXXX on collecting vinyl and most of his time listening/composing digital music at the expense of his university course (just failed) . As a child he was very energetic and demanding - but we thought that was just him. As an adolescent he stole from us and smoked a lot a marijuana (he no longer does this) - he is always contrite and promises to reform. Is he just a selfish and self indulgent or has he got a condition which can be treated?
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

ADHD is a condition where a person does not pay attention to anything either academics or non academics.

Since he pays attention and has his interest in something real, I do not consider him to have any psychological problem.

I see that he has a diversion in his interest. A good counsellor is what he needs.Making him realize the importance of the education is what only natural way to help him get on track.

Also such disinterest can be seen in people who had a time addicted to Marijuana and quit totally.I would assure you a good counselling would really help him out.

Please feel free to ask doubts, if any.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor